From the desk of Keith Reising, all credit due to (lifted from) the ad contrarian blogspot.
April 29, 2015
10 Facts From The Real World
Every year or so I like to take a step back and look at a few key advertising, marketing, and media facts just to gauge how removed from reality we advertising experts are.
These data represent the latest numbers I could find. I have listed the sources below.
So here we go — 10 facts, direct from the real world:
- E-commerce in 2014 accounted for 6.5 percent of total retail sales.
- 96% of video viewing is currently done on a television. 4% is done on a web device.
- In Europe and the US, people would not care if 92% of brands disappeared.
- The rate of engagement among a brand’s fans with a Facebook post is 7 in 10,000. For Twitter it is 3 in 10,000.
- Fewer than one person in a thousand clicks on a standard banner ad.
- Over half the display ads paid for by marketers are unviewable.
- Less than 1% of retail buying is done on a mobile device.
- Only 44% of traffic on the web is human.
- One bot-net can generate 1 billion fraudulent digital ad impressions a day.
- Half of all U.S online advertising – $10 billion a year – may be lost to fraud.
As regular readers know, one of our favorite sayings around The Ad Contrarian Social Club is a quote from Noble Prize winning physicist Richard Feynman, who wonderfully declared that “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”
Additionally, take a walk through a grocery store or Target, all of the successful names you see were made “Brands” through traditional media.
If you are in business or serve business in your work, leave the TV off tonight and look up Bob Hoffman the Ad Contrarian on YOUTUBE.